Monday, April 09, 2007

After Midnight

I didn't blog all of March. Now it is April. Life runs away with me. I like to visit here every once in a while. The other day I thought of my heart as not being broken, but rather, thought of the possibility of imagining that my heart was held in a vessel, and that the vessel which held my heart as being broken... I've been reading a lot and staying up too late and staring blankly at my computer as I try to figure out how to write all the papers I need to in the next three weeks in order for me to finish this semester of college. The other day in an email to a friend and fellow blogger (go check him out at Fallout Shelter, he's good people) I thought of all of us bloggers as folks who were giving each other the chance to become our own fans. I think this is a cool way to look at these endeavors. Often I wonder about why I want to do this at all, and about why so many folks these days are doing some sort of blogging, and I have many more questions than answers, but I think that at the least it is an interesting way to 'get to know' some people better. It is a way for folks who know each other already to share with each other more, and it is a way for folks who may never know each other any other way to share at all. We can be each other's fans. It is a way of extending friendship and a new way of being friendly. I'm still learning how to be a better blogger (which I guess for me means learning how to be a good community member in some sense) and I'm enjoying the effort, slight as it may be. Maybe this Summer will see me blog a little more...

3 comments:

Joseph H. Vilas said...

Dude, if you're like me, feeling guilty or that you have to blog will surely kill any desire to do so. But I'm probably less task-oriented than the average person. In any case, I like to blog when I feel like blogging. If I don't have anything to say, I let it go. I've certainly gone a month without blogging, and certainly much longer than a month without putting up anything substantial. I think it's true that the more you blog, the more there is for your readers to read, and the more visits you'll get. But if you don't have anything to say at the moment, and you don't want to put up crap, well then... you just don't have anything to say. In that state, if you can still get something out that people want to read, then you're a better man than I.

This is a little OT, but I think one thing that keeps people coming back to read is following up on comments people leave. If someone leaves a comment on my blog, I try to come back and answer it. IMO, that's as important for generating readers as putting up new posts.

joel said...

I can't wait to read the shit out of this blog, mang. In the meantime, check out the more lighthearted fare at 412sciencehall.blogspot.com

David E. Felton said...

Joe, I'm not feeling guilty about not blogging so much, it is just that it is an interestingly clear reminder to myself of how inconsistent I am in many ways. I wonder what makes the difference between those who blog almost daily and who often have more interesting posts than not, and those who post sporadically and sometimes put up some wierd rambling thing just as a way to check in with themselves and see if they want to keep doing this thing called blogging... I don't know if I ever have anything to say, but sometimes I feel like saying something... and I'm afraid I'm bound to put up some crap and that's fine because this is a wonderful medium for a little dross and a little gold... you are so right about the comments thing... one doesn't want to be a slave to needing comments but one is appreciative when they come... like little letters in the mail... and if I weren't blogging I would have never touched base with great folks like my friend Erin and now my old pal Joel... I can't wait to see what he is up to in the blogosphere... I'm enjoying the irony of having comments from joe v. and joel p. at the same time...